Monday, January 24, 2011

Richard Robbins, recently soloed, had first soaring flight of the year in wave: - 22 JAN 2011





Sat was GREAT. Mike Voie suggested the wave.  I dusted off my surf board (N103FB) and a little before 2PM we took off.  I got off at 6,500' with 800-1000' f/m up. I did figure 8s and circled. At around 10,500' I was down to 400 f/m, after 11,000' 200 f/m at around 12,000'  I was somewhere around 50'-200' f/m by 13,300' I was 0-50 f/m so I stopped trying. The world looks different from the Grob than any of the power aircraft I have piloted at any altitude.  I really enjoyed it, just basking in being there.  I went to LVK and looked around and back to Diablo then Brushy Peak.  A great deal of this was at zero to a little over 100 f/m sink.  I went almost to SCK and came back a circled the Fore Bay.  I was at 6K and got to watch Elevator slide under me at 4K doing about mach 1.  The FM asked how much longer I would be? Eh, it was getting late so I went Discovery Bay and used the air brakes.  The total flight was 2.6hrs.  If I had played around I think I might have had another 45' in the air.  The Grob just did NOT want to come down.  I landed long and was almost on the center line of the taxiway as I exited.  As I said, "Sat was Great."
 
Thanks Mike for suggesting the wave.
 
Rick Robbins


__._,_.___



__,_._,___

No comments: