Tuesday, January 17, 2012

More from Mang about his first solo - Jan 14,2012

It had been a long final stretch to my first glider solo. Having been
a power pilot back in Canada (through the Royal Canadian Air Cadets,
eh) my stick and rudders skills just needed some waking up and of
course it took some work to get used to how much rudder you need
(especially with the Grob 103) with those almost impossibly long wings
stretching out beside you. I reached the point where I was ready to
solo - then it was just a matter of getting the right combination of
pilot, aircraft and environment. Oh and let's not forget that other
factor - paperwork!

I called the Oakland FSDO to make an appointment to get my FAA student
pilot certificate. The woman who answered was quite nice and said
they'd give me a call back to make an appointment. I also learned
that I could transfer my Canadian Private Pilot Aeroplane License to a
full FAA Airplane License. I can explain the requirements as I
understand them but the upshot was that getting an FAA Class 3 medical
was required. So off I went to Dr Denbo in SF (I got a next day
appointment) and got a combined Class 3 Medical / Student Pilot
Certificate. I'd recommend this route if you plan to do hypoxia
training or go power later.

With Student Pilot Certificate in hand I was ready to go! I got out
to the field and I was up next for instruction when the winch stopped
working. Some puttering around and we found a problem or two and it
was no go. Bummer. Next week I came out to the field and I was ready
to go! Except it was an epic wave day and much better for riding wave
than going first solo. I'd be bummed except Larry and I flew a 1.9
hour flight topping out at 14,000 feet!

The next week I was a little slow on the draw and the instruction
lineup filled up. I'd been planning to fly Sunday but it was looking
like another wave day. Saturday was 81C's annual and I wanted to come
out to get a deep peek into the inner workings of our (not always so)
trusty steed. The air Saturday was completely dead. Gosh, it would
great to go solo. While we were putting the wings back on 81C someone
came by and said "the last student didn't show up, anybody want to
fly?" Can you say, YES?!

Up I went with John Randazzo. Since we weren't doing patterns (on
account of that rope trailing behind 16Y) it was a high tow to 3,500'
over Brushy Peak. We boxed the wake and did the standard maneuvers on
the way back. Back we came into the pattern for a simple landing with
windsock completely limp.

We got out of the plane and John said "OK, you want to go fly it?"
Can you say, YES?!

John tied back the straps in the back seat and quickly verified with
me that I'd done rope breaks, etc (indeed I had and I believe every
instructor in the club had said at one point "I think you're ready").
The tow pilot asked me where I wanted to go and I said "let's just do
that again". Keep it simple.

Sitting on the runway doing my pre-flight checks for the third time
the thought was just "OK, here we go!" Up we went! The air was
perfectly smooth (not moving at all) and it was easy to stay behind
the towplane. Near Brushy Peak I got off tow at 3,500'. I headed
back towards the airport and did some basic maneuvers. I did a
straight ahead stall and noted the reduced stall speed with one less
body in the plane. Some steep turns, slips and turning stalls. A 360
or two to enjoy the view! Then back to Byron to get set up for the
pattern. I crossed the Byron highway at about 2,000 feet. Plenty of
time to get ready for the landing. I got a call requesting I take the
second turnoff, closer to the tie-downs since this was the last
flight.

I made my calls to the empty pattern. On the 45 I used some spoilers
to get to pattern altitude. With the windsock still limp I aimed for
the first turnoff. Touchdown with about half spoilers, not a 10/10
but not too far off! Test the brakes. Keep it rolling, watch the
wings and energy. Get a little right of the centerline. Make the
turnoff and..... stop!

I hopped out, a big grin on my face! And there wasn't anyone there!
I'll take it as a vote of confidence that no one was nervously
watching my landing and were instead closing shop at the end of the
day. Ramy came over with a cart and gave me a congratulations. All
in all my first glider solo was "by the numbers" with no surprises.
I'll take that! Can't wait to get up again! Thanks to all the
instructors and the whole club for keeping our operations going!
(photos courtesy Ramy)
- mang

No comments: