Sunday, March 11, 2007

Holtz Glider Training Books



Here is Paul's review of Russell Holtz's two new glider manuals, which the club is currently evaluating. For more information about the books, consult the
website. -- JL



I purchased the new Holtz textbooks and workbooks a month ago online.
From the perspective of a new trainee, I thought that I'd add my
endorsement of his product.


As primary study texts, I have also used the FAA "Glider Flying
Handbook" and Knauff's "Transition To Gliders". I would offer
that I found the FAA book to be very well done. Its full-color diagrams
and layout are superior to the rest. I studied the FAA text and Holtz's
books in parallel topic-for-topic. They were very similar and, in
fact, Holtz's presentation copied that of the FAA text verbatim in
many instances. I fear that he may have overused the FAA book as a
guide while developing his own, but his product is very well
presented nonetheless. Although the Knauff book was recommended by
several at NCSA, I found it shallow and brief overall. This is
perhaps owing to its admitted target readership of transitioning
power pilots, but I found a review of the basics offered by the
other two sources beneficial.


I would recommend the FAA book to new trainees, power background or
not. I would further recommend the Holtz texts, notwithstanding
their substantial price of admission. The concept of separating the
academic material and the flight operations material into two
different books is good, and Holtz's text and graphics are great
throughout. The Knauff book did have some good and unique
material, but I would recommend it as a supplement to the other two for
anyone new to soaring.


--Paul McDonald

No comments: