Monday, August 6, 2007

House of Balsa



I've just completed a side project 2 meter R/C glider that was started on a rainy winter night some months back. Sometimes you just have to take a break and let your creative juices flow. I always wanted a model glider with spoilers so midway through the wing build I decided to steal a few ideas off the web. My cable operated spoilers work quite well. I have a number of flights on it now, mostly at the East Bay Radio Controllers field off of a Highstart(bungee) type launch. That gets me about 200 feet or so. Caught some nice thermals coming up off the dark runway that helped sustain my flights.




During this time I also dug my 25 year old Bridi trainer out of my parents' attic and completely rebuilt/recovered it. Flew it for the first time since 1983 this weekend. It was like visiting an old friend. It flew just like I remembered(maybe even better), except my teenage knees werent knocking this time. Life always seems to bring us full circle, just enjoy those moments of yesteryear as they pass by.


--Tony Derrer

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

very cool. i used to fly a lot of RC. that last thing i was flying was a nice little discus launched glider - the type you throw up into the air. lot of fun!

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBUFmW40aYU

This is the link to my youtube inflight video shot at Del Valle

Anonymous said...

very nice! i love slope soaring.

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXoJyiFBHvU