Monday, April 2, 2012

Terence Wilson soars into the lead

"  For the coveted 2012 Awards for Longest Distance Flight in a 1-26 as well as Longest Duration in a 1-26

see Terence's flight:
http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/gliding/flightinfo.html;jsessionid=61F565C539BB9EDA2629D0B5A7EB9C8B?dsId=2248748

Way to go, Terrence!

But who's gonna step up and take over 1st place?????"
-Larry

Buzz reminds the club that "We have a one of a kind Al cast 1-26 trophy in the club that to me has a unknown history. We engrave the winner of the best flight each year. Would be fun and encourage more use of that special plane."

Terence's 1-26 flight yesterday, Sunday April 1st, no fooling,

"When Ramy sends an email alert of good soaring, it's time to rearrange your schedule and get to the airport. I arrived at Byron a little later than usual and found myself second in line for 972 and SS. Charlie was first up in the 1-26 and soared for about 0.6. I'm pretty sure he cut his flight short to give me a shot. Thank you Charlie, you are a gentleman. The post-frontal winds were moderate out of the north west with blue skies and patches of Cu's over Brushy Peak and the Diablo Range. I had planned to release over Los Vaqueros, but Rick in 16Y recommended going straight to Brushy, which turned out to be a better plan. Thank you Rick. After releasing at about 5000MSL directly under the dark part of a big Cu I circled around looking for the lift core, however, the best I found was about 10-20 seconds @ 2kts. Pretty anemic. After meandering around in zero sink I decided to venture downwind where I was able to connect with stronger thermals over Altamont. Discretion being the better part of valor, I didn't let myself drift much further than 580; if I'd been flying SS I probably would have headed towards the Cu's in the direction of Tracy.

On a couple of occasions I was thermalling under the same cloud as FB. In this situation the difference in turn radius between the two ships is stark. And today my neck is sore from twisting and stretching to keep that other glider in sight. If you have good eyes you should be able to see FB in this short video I shot.


After developing a slight headache (dehydration?) I started a leisurely final glide back to Byron from 580. The 30 pattern was busy enough that I opted to take the 7 knot crosswind and land on runway 5. Why enter the fray when there's a perfectly good runway that nobody is using?

Thanks to everyone for helping out. Special thanks to the cadets for helping me get the glider back to the tie-down."

Terence


__._,_.___



No comments: